Law has been a focus of research in the Max Planck Society since 1924. A publication charting its evolution was fittingly launched at the 2022 Max Planck Law Annual Conference.
‘Rechtswissenschaft in der Max-Planck-Gesellschaft, 1948–2002‘ [Legal Scholarship in the Max Planck Society, 1948–2002], eds Thomas Duve, Stefan Vogenauer, and Jasper Kunstreich, gives an overview of the post-war histories of the six Max Planck Institutes dedicated to legal studies which were established before 2002, and of the emergence of a ‘cluster’ of legal Institutes. After the foundation of the Kaiser-Wilhelm-Institute for public international law and private international law in the 1920s a significant expansion occurred between 1964 and 1975, with the establishment of Institutes in Frankfurt, Freiburg, and, twice, Munich (Intellectual Property and Social Law). The contributions in this volume situate these Institutes within the context of their respective disciplinary fields and show their significance for the post-war history of legal science in Germany and beyond.
This is an Open Access publication, and the publication is now freely available at the following URL: https://www.vr-elibrary.de/doi/abs/10.13109/9783666993718. You might be required to register.